All about crepey neck skin
Crepey skin is not just having wrinkles. Nor does it look like other skin problems. It is a condition in which your skin looks like crepe paper—hence the name crepey skin.
Those who are affected by this condition develop thin and finely wrinkled skin, which feels loose.
Unlike other skin problems, crepey skin usually affects large areas such as the upper inner arms and eyes as well as the neck, which then become more fragile and thin.
What causes crepey neck skin?
Many factors can contribute to the development of crepey neck skin as follows:
Longer-term exposure to the sun’s (ultraviolet) UV rays is one of the most common causes of crepey neck skin and the biggest reason people have this problem.
The other problems leading to crepey neck skin include:
- Genetics and changes in hormones
- Lack of moisture
- Excessive weight loss
Important facts about crepey skin
Sun’s UV rays
- Overexposure to UV rays breaks down elastin and collagen known for keeping the skin tight and free of wrinkles;
- When broken down, the collagen and elastin in the skin lose their ability to keep the skin from becoming loose, thin, and developing wrinkles.
Your age can also contribute to the onset of crepey skin. As you age:
- Your skin stops producing enough collagen and elastin;
- Your skin becomes a victim of pollution, stress, and the chemicals found in cigarettes as you start smoking—all leading to visible signs of crepey skin;
- Your skin loses its ability to produce enough oil needed to help seal in moisture for its protection;
- Your hormones change dramatically, and this reduces the production of natural oil in the skin, thereby making it drier;
- Skin dryness alone can cause crepey skin.
Your skin needs moisture and natural oil to look good. Unfortunately, the production of both moisture and natural oil decreases as you age, causing a host of skin problems.
When to seek treatments for crepey neck skin
If you feel self-conscious or have crepey neck skin, book a complimentary consultation today to discuss all the treatment options available for your skin condition. Prevention is always better than cure, providing little and often, support and treatments to the structural layers of your skin, will delay the ageing process significantly.
After assessing your skin at a consultation, I will recommend the best treatment based on the following:
- Your skin type
- The area affected
- The causes of creping skin
- Your age
- Your contributing lifestyle factors
While there are many treatments for crepey neck skin on the market, it’s important that you find the right one to improve this problem sooner rather than later.
Treating your crepey neck skin will create a noticeable change in:
- Your skin’s texture;
- Your skin’s thickness;
- Your skin’s support;
- Your skin’s appearance.
The most highly recommended non-surgical aesthetic treatment for crepey neck skin
To improve your crepey neck skin, it will often take more than one treatment using multiple modalities, to achieve long lasting, sustainable results, these may include;
Here is what dermal fillers can do for your crepey neck:
- Improve the appearance of your neck;
- Enhance the texture and quality of the skin.
If you would like to reduce the appearance of crepey neck skin, to look fresher and improve your self-esteem, consider booking your complimentary consultation today.
Together we can make a difference!
Amanda Azzopardi – Advanced Nurse Practitioner – RM, RN, INP, DIP, BHS
Get your free no-obligation quotation
What clients are saying